Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Artist Trading Cards and a Little Update

Life is interesting, and sometimes it takes different twists and turns.  For the last several years I have been practically inseparable from my laptop.  It was rare that a day would go by without me spending several hours on it either writing, or just cruising the interwebs.  Well, I got this little tablet computer, and it has enabled me to have INSTANT access to things!  I don't have to wait for the computer to boot-up, then for pages to load, etc.  It has spoiled me something fierce!

Since I haven't figured out a really good way to upload blog posts to it yet, I am terribly behind on posting.  I have also had a hard time maintaining so many different blogs, instagram, facebook, and so on, so I have mostly been posting to Instagram--a feature that is also a great thing about the tablet is that I don't have to use my phone's data plan!

So, I have decided to merge all my special interest blogs into one, and have my Instagram, Swap-Bot, and Blog names all the same--I am orneryswife everywhere! :)  I hope to eventually get my favorite posts ported over from all my other blogs, but during the busy holiday time is not the best time for that.  For now, I am leaving up the other blogs.

Now, on to the last several Artist Trading Cards I have made.  Each card is 3.5 X 2.5 inches.
 
A friend sent me a short note on a memo that had the bird and flowers on it, another friend sent me the little diecut purple flowers which I highlighted with liquid pearls to change the color from purple stems to green. There is other liquid pearl scattered around on the flowers, and glitter around the edge of the whole card.  The background is painted with twinkling H2O watercolors.  The text is some sort of Arabic, I think. :)

This and the next one were sort of a reaction to all the Christmas themed cards I have been doing.  I was getting tired of red and green, and the whole Christmas theme, so I rummaged around through my scraps and came up with some black and white things... ideas are never far from the surface when there are such fun things to work with!

My first "New Year" themed card!  I haven't had many uses for those silver letters--I think they came with a page kit I bought a few years ago.  They fit just perfectly on the little bunting!

This background was made by another swapper who sent it to me as an extra in a SwapBot swap.  I added the flowers and the washi tape, the rest was already there.  The flowers are punched from paper, then coated with Glossy Accents to give them sheen.  They weren't dry yet when I took the picture.  The stems/leaves are freehand cut from a piece of paper with Washi Tape stuck to it.  I am really in love with the way it turned out!

This ATC was an experiment on so many levels!  I had been hankering to do a bit more paper weaving, so I cut strips from several different papers I had painted, and wove them together, then selected all the other embellishments from my stash.  The tiny little squares are from the ends of the weaving, and when they fell onto the card, I decided I liked the look and added a few more!  It looks like confetti. :)  The dragonfly is a diecut from K&Co.

This is very similar to a card I did a month or so ago.  It got rave comments on Instagram, and I figured if they liked it once... This time I added lace instead of ribbon, and the feathers are way cool, two spotted and one striped! :)  The black stem of little flowers is from the same swapper (and is the same diecut in a different color) as the purple in the first ATC in this group.  And, of course, I added a bit of Washi Tape at the bottom.

This little house ATC is for a Mixed Media group swap.  I used book pages with text in Italian, Arabic, and Russian, some punchella, (discard from making sequins) Washi Tape, and some cotton for the smoke.  For media, twinkling H2O watercolors, pen and ink, and distress ink.

Lots of little strips of torn book pages and map on this twinkling background!  I used Silks acrylic glaze on the puzzle pieces and alcohol inks on the little letters that were not the colors I wanted! I freehand cut the heart (would love a little punch in that shape!) and coated it with glossy accents.  Then I added orange glitter around the edges.  It is very colorful!

This is one of my favorites! (which is why I called it magical!)  The little flowers and dragonfly punches were from a swapper who sent them as extras with her amazing swap.  The book page background is in Italian, and painted with several colors of yellow twinks, with a little orange added it.  When it was mostly dry, I placed on it a piece of bubble wrap that had been on a dark blue piece of paper and was still wet.  The result was quite fun, and the colors don't seem to show nearly as well on my computer as they did in person.
This is the second illustration from this little book about Polly I picked up for free at my accountant's office.  He also owns a used book store and has shelves of books you can take for free at his tax office. Thank you, I believe I will!  This one I used my twinkling H2O watercolors to add the color, and I liked the way it turned out quite well.

This last ATC is from a little grouping of flowers my daughter drew for me and I painted with twinks.  It was almost too big for the ATC, but I didn't lose much of it. I placed it over a piece of paper I found folded and wrapped in plastic beneath some washi tape samples someone had sent me.  I thought it made a fine background for this!  Finally I added the little lady bug brad.

No comments: